Wednesday, March 16, 2011

The "Hand Rule" of Decorating

              This is a quick tip for decorating your fireplace mantel. Use odd number of items as this keeps the style from looking too formal.  I like to use 5 of my items with various heights on the fireplace mantel. The "Hand Rule"... hold your hand up in front of you, extended outward with palm facing fireplace mantel. Look at your fingers and thumb.  Now take your five items and arrange them by height according to the different lengths of your fingers.  Your tallest item would be in the middle and your shortest on one of the ends (depending on which hand you are holding up). You can also use this for your items on shelves.  It looks awkward when you first attempt it but when you stand back and look...it has a unique style and draws your eyes attention.  Just a little rule I use.  I also use it in the garden when I am planting flowers or shrubs.  Odd numbers for the "shabby elegance" look and even numbers for a formal look.  Try it yourself and see what designs you create.

Lesa, Simply Shabby Elegant

1 comment:

  1. I looked at this once and just had to come back and re-look. This is simple amazing. So Simple and so Simply Elegant from top to bottom. Great ideas to match the decor of Shabby Elegant, too. I'm inspired to shop now.

    ReplyDelete